The “5 S” system (a structured, systematic approach to housekeeping and a cornerstone of any world-class manufacturing) can assist a wide range of businesses, not just in manufacturing.
“5 S” involves creating an organised workplace, incorporating the following:
- SORT – sorting and removing unnecessary items.
- SET IN ORDER – a place for everything and everything in its place.
- SHINE – cleaning the work area.
- STANDARDS – establishing the rules and standards for the business.
- SUSTAIN – maintaining the standards in a disciplined way.
The “5 S” system can assist businesses to improve efficiency, which should then flow through the profitability.
If your business operates in one of the Australian government’s “priority industries”, your business could be eligible for a Business Growth Grant, which could assist in the implementation of the “5 S” system to improve efficiencies within your business.